Monday, February 15, 2010

Second Life Extra Credit

I have heard many things about Second Life but never in my wildest dreams would I have been able to truly comprehend the magnitude of Second Life. As my first experience using a virtual world environment, it was almost overwhelming. After playing around for a while, I was able to begin navigating this vast virtual world and discovering all that it has to offer. One thing I was surprised to encounter was the number of people I met who were using the software as part of a college course requirement, both undergrad and graduate level. My first day I think I met 3 different people at Orientation Island. Of all the place I visited, I think my favorite was Costa Rica. I really enjoyed wondering the ocean, exploring the island, and just hanging around in the hammock (as you can see from my screen shot). If I were to offer any advice to future users, I will tell them that the easiest way I found to walk around is to click and hold the forward arrow then just move the mouse in the direction you wish to move. It took me awhile to figure this out but it is much easier than click each arrow individually. All in all I found Second Life to be very entertaining, but I can certainly see how people could easily become engulfed in this virtual world.

No comments:

Post a Comment